Forensic Mental Competency Trainer
Trainer (Legal / Teaching / Psychology / Criminal Justice)
Are you interested in turning your fascination with forensics, criminal justice, or psychology into a career that will allow you to make a difference in the lives of others? Psychwest, Clinical & Forensic Psychology, Inc. is a leading California business providing court-appointed assessments and competency training to those individuals involved in the criminal justice system and to those whose mental competency to stand trial is in question. We are seeking a committed individual to fulfill the Forensic Mental Competency Trainer position to teach juveniles and adults with developmental disabilities and/or mental health issues in better understanding the criminal justice process. Our professional approach is personalized, meeting each client’s individual needs and identifying their unique learning style. Training is conducted on a one to one basis with an established curriculum and prepared lesson plans.
This is a great opportunity to merge your passion for teaching into a more varied and dynamic career. You will join an equally enthusiastic and experienced forensic team who shares your desire to assist in the transformation and growth of our clients. We provide comprehensive training, support, and guidance in assisting you with your professional development.
If you want to be a part of an innovative organization with rewarding new challenges as a compassionate and professional instructor, apply today and don’t let this career opportunity pass you by!
As a Forensic Mental Competency Trainer, you are responsible for providing community-based instruction to those within the criminal justice system. Ongoing support, consultation, and training from Regional Managers and Forensic Psychologists are provided. Instruction is delivered to the clients using a multidimensional approach by engaging the clients’ auditory, visual, and tactile senses as well as providing an environment that is experientially inviting and engaging. In addition, repetition and the use of varying educational formats is utilized to ensure the needs of each client are met.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Applying and adjusting the individualized training plan utilizing each individual’s developmental ability level, assessment results, the nature of his/her case, and unique learning style
- Developing rapport with clients and maintaining a motivating and experiential learning environment
- Maintaining case management duties including report writing and progress notes
- Communicating consistently with other Mental Competency Program staff regarding clients’ program levels and progress
- Communicating with outside agencies and the criminal justice system regarding the clients’ progress within the program
- Traveling within the community to provide training services (e.g., jail settings, juvenile detention centers, hospitals, group homes, day programs and private residences)
- Using computer applications for training, documenting, and communication purposes (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
As a Forensic Mental Competency Trainer, you should be enthusiastic, committed, compassionate, and patient. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, are essential. It is also important that you are independent and self-motivated, with the ability to adjust to varying learning styles and developmental needs.
Additional requirements include:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a field related to education, psychology, or criminal justice or previous experience in teaching
- Previous experience in teaching, preferred, although training will be provided
- Valid driver’s license and car insurance
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to apply a multidimensional learning model within an individual learning framework
- Ability to serve as an effective and positive force as the client’s trainer to successfully assist them through the program
As a Forensic Mental CompetencyTrainer with Psychwest, Clinical & Forensic Psychology, Inc. you will enjoy a professional, yet relaxed working environment, as well as receive superior internal training opportunities along with support and knowledge from our experienced forensic team. Our primary office is located in Yuba City with additional branches throughout California.
Qualified Employees receive:
- Medical Insurance Coverage
- Paid Time Off / PTO
- Simple IRA Savings Plan
- Mileage Reimbursement (and stipends if thresholds are exceeded)
- Work laptop and cell phone
If interested, please send: 1) Resume 2) Completed application (found at www.psychwest.com/Jobs.html)
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
• Post ID: 9016042 redding